Git has come a long way since its first development by Linus Torvalds, which initially was for Linux kernel development. Since its inception in 2005 it has taken the open source world by storm. In this blog post we present you a list of top books that can help you master Git Version Control system.
Git is the source code control system adopted for the modern software development by small and large teams. The Git decentralized architecture and fast branching enables developers to concentrate on the source code instead of tedious version control tasks.
1. Pro Git 2nd ed. Edition
This book is written by Git pros Scott Chacon and Ben Straub. The Pro Git (Second Edition) is build on the hugely successful first edition with full support for Git version 2.0. There is a chapter as well dedicated to GitHub. Pro Git is the best book for all your Git needs.
$45.83 in stock
21 used from $25.20
2. Git: A fast and easy guide to version control
Intro to Git book starts with the explanation of the most basic git concepts. It is the essential reference if you’re planning on mastering any Git based SCM software solution. Get a copy today and start a journey to implementing CI/CD pipelines powered by Git.
Git: A fast and easy guide to version control
3. Git for Teams: A User-Centered Approach to Creating Efficient Workflows in Git
This a practical guide to version control that also explains how using Git as a focal point can help your team work better together. By the end of the book you’ll have learned to plan and pursue Git workflows that fits the immediate needs and future growth of your team.
In the first part of the book which covers structuring workflow, the author targets CTOs, project managers and technical team leads. The hands-on exercises fit for developers to gain a better understanding of Git commands is covered in the second part of the book.
Git for Teams: A User-Centered Approach to Creating Efficient Workflows in Git
$43.99 in stock
14 used from $16.89
4. Beginning Git and GitHub: A Comprehensive Guide to Version Control
This book is divided into three main parts – Version Control, Project Management and Teamwork. It reveals what waits for you in the real world and how to resolve the problems you may run into in your software management cycle. You’ll get started with the basics of Git, management of a software project, and finally how Git and GithHub can be utilized to work effectively as a team.
What You’ll Learn
- Review basic and advanced concepts of Git
- Apply Project Management skills using GitHub
- Solve conflicts or, ideally, avoid them altogether
- Use advanced concepts for a more boosted workflow
Beginning Git and GitHub: A Comprehensive Guide to Version Control, Project Management, and Teamwork for the New Developer
$26.99 in stock
6 used from $33.02
5. Introducing GitHub: A Non-Technical Guide 1st Edition
The Introducing GitHub book is fit for new GitHub users as well as experienced ones. It will show you how to use GitHub’s web interface to view create projects. view and ensure effective collaboration with your team members.
In a nutshell you’ll get informed on:
- Learn how and why people use GitHub to collaborate
- View the status of a project—recent changes, outstanding work, and historic changes
- Create and edit files through GitHub without learning Git
- Suggest changes to projects you don’t have permission to edit directly
- Use tools like issues, pull requests, and branches to specify and collaborate on changes
- Create a new GitHub repository to control who has access to your project
Introducing GitHub: A Non-Technical Guide
$15.39 in stock
18 used from $3.38
6. Git Pocket Guide: A Working Introduction 1st Edition
The Git Pocket Guide book is a perfect on-the-job companion to Git. It provides a compact, readable introduction to Git for new users, as well as a reference to common commands and procedures for those of you with Git experience.
The boos is written for Git version 1.8.2 and organized around the basic version control functions you need, such as making commits, fixing mistakes, merging, and searching history.
Summary of what you’ll learn:
- Examine the state of your project at earlier points in time
- Learn the basics of creating and making changes to a repository
- Create branches so many people can work on a project simultaneously
- Merge branches and reconcile the changes among them
- Clone an existing repository and share changes with push/pull commands
- Examine and change your repository’s commit history
- Access remote repositories, using different network protocols
- Get recipes for accomplishing a variety of common tasks
Git Pocket Guide: A Working Introduction
$13.49 in stock
30 used from $3.78
7. Learn Git in a Month of Lunches 1st Edition
Learn Git in a Month of Lunches introduces the discipline of source code control using Git. Helpful for both newbies who have never used source control and busy pros, this book concentrates on the components of Git you’ll use every day. In easy-to-follow lessons that take an hour or less, you’ll dig into Git’s distributed collaboration model, along with core concepts like committing, branching, and merging. This book is a road map to the commands and processes you need to be instantly productive.
What’s Inside the book
- Start from square one – no experience required
- The most frequently used Git commands
- Mental models that show how Git works
- Learn when and how to branch code
Learn Git in a Month of Lunches
$37.10 in stock
14 used from $20.24
8. Professional Git 1st Edition
This books takes a professional approach to learning Git. It helps you get into the Git mindset – extensive discussion of corollaries to traditional systems as well as considerations unique to Git help you draw upon existing skills while looking out.
This book shows you how to harness that power and flexibility to streamline your development cycle.
- Understand the basic Git model and overall workflow
- Learn the Git versions of common source management concepts and commands
- Track changes, work with branches, and take advantage of Git’s full functionality
- Avoid trip-ups and missteps common to new users
$36.20 in stock
16 used from $29.55