Vivaldi is a next generation open source web browser that runs on Windows, Linux, macOS and on mobile devices. It comes with unique features and is created to be fast and secure browser that blocks ads and trackers. Vivaldi browser is developed by Vivaldi Technologies, a company founded by Opera Software co-founder. In this short tutorial we will see how you can quickly install and use Vivaldi Web Browser on Linux Mint 20.
Install Vivaldi Web Browser on Linux Mint 20
Some of the key features you’ll enjoy by installing Vivaldi Web browser are:
- Protection from trackers: Vivaldi blocks sites from tracking you around the web so that you can browse privately because online privacy is as important as security.
- Built-in ad blocker: Vivaldi gives you the option to block ads right in your browser – no extensions needed. Block all ads or adjust per site.
- Secure sync with end-to-end encryption: Sync your bookmarks, passwords, extensions, and more across all your devices
- Tab stacking, tab tiling and vertical tabs: Vivaldi gives you full control of how you group, display and interact with tabs
- Add Favorite websites and apps in the sidebar: Get quick access to your favorite chat apps, social feeds and news sites. Add as many as you like to your sidebar, and rearrange with drag ‘n’ drop.
- Customizable keyboard shortcuts: Use your keyboard to browse faster! Customize keyboard shortcuts
- Quick commands: Use Vivaldi’s universal search to find open tabs, bookmarks, entries in your browsing history, and more.
- Notes manager: Write down ideas in the browser’s sidebar using Notes. Format text with Markdown, automatically attach screenshots, and more.
- Enjoy predefined dark and light theme: Vivaldi gives you dark and light themes as well as an option to use your OS themes.
- Pop-out video: Keep videos floating above other windows and applications.
- Chrome extensions: You can install Chrome extensions on Vivaldi browser.
Step 1: Update APT index
We recommend you run the apt command to update your OS list of packages before installation. This will also help you confirm if your system has internet connection.
sudo apt update
You can optionally upgrade all the packages installed in your Linux Mint to conform to security best practices.
sudo apt upgrade -y sudo systemctl reboot
Step 2: Add Vivaldi APT repository
Before adding the repository we need to import GPG keys to our Linux Mint.
sudo apt update sudo apt install wget gnupg2 software-properties-common -y wget -qO- https://repo.vivaldi.com/archive/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add -
The add the official Vivaldi APT repository which contains all the Vivaldi browser packages.
echo 'deb https://repo.vivaldi.com/archive/deb/ stable main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vivaldi.list
You can confirm the repository file has been created by using the cat command:
$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vivaldi.list deb https://repo.vivaldi.com/archive/deb/ stable main
Step 3: Install Vivaldi Web Browser on Linux Mint 20
The last step is to install Vivaldi Web Browser on Linux Mint 20.
sudo apt update sudo apt install vivaldi-stable
When asked to confirm installation of Vivaldi Web Browser on Linux Mint 20, use y key to agree.
Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done The following additional packages will be installed: adobe-flash-properties-gtk adobe-flashplugin Suggested packages: x-ttcidfont-conf msttcorefonts ttf-bitstream-vera | ttf-dejavu ttf-xfree86-nonfree xfs libnspr4-0d libnss3-1d The following NEW packages will be installed: adobe-flash-properties-gtk adobe-flashplugin vivaldi-stable 0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded. Need to get 81.2 MB of archives. After this operation, 284 MB of additional disk space will be used. Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Step 4: Launch and Use Vivaldi Browser on Linux Mint 20
Use your OS Applications search Menu to locate and start Vivaldi Web browser.
You as well start the browser from terminal.
Use the basic startup configuration wizard to complete installation of Vivaldi web browser on Linux Mint 20 and enjoy!!.
Linux training courses:
Other Articles on Linux Mint: