The VirtualBox Guest Additions are a set of tools designed to be installed inside a virtual machine after the guest operating system has been installed. They consist of device drivers and system applications that optimize the guest operating system for better performance and usability. This guide will show you how to install VirtualBox Guest Additions on Manjaro Linux running in Oracle VirtualBox environment.
The VirtualBox Guest additions provide the following features:
- Shared folders: These provide an easy way to exchange files between the host and the guest.
- Mouse pointer integration: Provides seamless mouse support. You’ll no longer need to press the Host key to free the mouse from being captured by the guest OS
- It provides better video support: The video resolution in the guest will be automatically adjusted, as if you had manually entered an arbitrary resolution in the guest’s Display settings
- Seamless windows: With this feature, the individual windows that are displayed on the desktop of the virtual machine can be mapped on the host’s desktop, as if the underlying application was actually running on the host.
- Time synchronization: With the Guest Additions installed, Oracle VM VirtualBox can ensure that the guest’s system time is better synchronized with that of the host.
- Shared clipboard: With the Guest Additions installed, the clipboard of the guest operating system can optionally be shared with your host operating system
- Automated logins: The Guest Addition modules enable automated logins on the guest.
Install VirtualBox Guest Additions on Manjaro Linux
There are two ways of installing VirtualBox Guest additions on a Manjaro Linux virtual machine. The first one is by downloading binary packages already built and distributed via Manjaro repositories.
Method 1: Use Manjaro provided packages
Start by updating and upgrading all packages installed in the system.
sudo pacman -Syu
After the upgrade is done, reboot your machine.
Then install virtualbox-guest-utils package.
$ sudo pacman -Sy virtualbox-guest-utils :: Synchronizing package databases... core is up to date extra is up to date community is up to date multilib is up to date warning: virtualbox-guest-utils-6.1.8-2 is up to date -- reinstalling resolving dependencies... looking for conflicting packages... Packages (1) virtualbox-guest-utils-6.1.8-2 Total Installed Size: 7.26 MiB Net Upgrade Size: 0.00 MiB :: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
Reboot your machine.
sudo systemctl reboot
Method 2: Install VirtualBox Guest Additions on Manjaro Linux Manually
Start with the system updates:
sudo pacman -Syu sudo reboot
After reboot check the list of installed Linux kernels and active one:
$ mhwd-kernel -li Currently running: 5.6.16-1-MANJARO (linux56) The following kernels are installed in your system: * linux56
Install Kernel headers matching installed Kernel version.
sudo pacman -S linux56-headers
Mount VirtualBox Guest Addition image in your VM.
Change to VirtualBox Guest additions disk mount point.
$ df -hT Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on dev devtmpfs 986M 0 986M 0% /dev run tmpfs 995M 972K 994M 1% /run /dev/sda1 ext4 30G 7.5G 21G 27% / tmpfs tmpfs 995M 0 995M 0% /dev/shm tmpfs tmpfs 995M 0 995M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup tmpfs tmpfs 995M 8.4M 987M 1% /tmp tmpfs tmpfs 199M 12K 199M 1% /run/user/1000 /dev/sr0 iso9660 58M 58M 0 100% /run/media/jkmutai/VBox_GAs_6.1.10 $ cd /run/media/jkmutai/VBox_GAs_6.1.10
There are installation scripts in the directory as shown below.
$ ls -1 AUTORUN.INF autorun.sh cert NT3x OS2 runasroot.sh TRANS.TBL VBoxDarwinAdditions.pkg VBoxDarwinAdditionsUninstall.tool VBoxLinuxAdditions.run VBoxSolarisAdditions.pkg VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.exe VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe VBoxWindowsAdditions-x86.exe
Install VirtualBox Guest Additions on Manjaro Linux by running the following command in your terminal.
$ sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run [sudo] password for jkmutai: Verifying archive integrity... All good. Uncompressing VirtualBox 6.1.10 Guest Additions for Linux........ VirtualBox Guest Additions installer Removing installed version 6.1.10 of VirtualBox Guest Additions... Copying additional installer modules ... Installing additional modules ... VirtualBox Guest Additions: Starting. VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules. This may take a while. VirtualBox Guest Additions: To build modules for other installed kernels, run VirtualBox Guest Additions: /sbin/rcvboxadd quicksetup
VirtualBox Guest Additions: or VirtualBox Guest Additions: /sbin/rcvboxadd quicksetup all VirtualBox Guest Additions: Running kernel modules will not be replaced until the system is restarted
Reboot the system after installation.
You’re now ready for seamless VirtualBox Guest management with the tools installed. Stay tuned for more guides on Manjaro Linux.
Linux Learning Materials.