The macOS 11 Big Sur has been released officially for the general public use. This is the seventeenth and current major release of macOS, successor to macOS Catalina. It was first announced at Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference on June 22, 2020 and released to the public on November 12, 2020.
In summary below are the key new features in macOS 11 Big Sur:
- Updated menu bar: The menu bar is now taller and more translucent, allowing your desktop picture to extend from edge to edge
- Floating Dock: The redesigned Dock is lifted from the bottom of your display and is more translucent, allowing your desktop wallpaper to shine through.
- New icons for apps: App icons have been redesigned to feel both familiar and fresh
- Full-height sidebars: A new look for app sidebars makes it easier to find what you want and gives you more space to get things done.
- Control Center: The new Control Center consolidates your favorite menu bar items into a single place to give you instant access to the controls you use most.
- Updated Notification Center: A redesigned Notification Center puts all your notifications and widgets into a single, dedicated column
- Redesigned widgets: Experience brand-new widgets and beautifully redesigned widgets for Calendar, Stocks, Weather, Reminders, Notes, and Podcasts.
- Safari Improved performance: Safari loads frequently visited sites 50 percent faster on average than Chrome.
- Optimized Battery Charging: Optimized Battery Charging is designed to reduce the wear on your battery and improve its lifespan by ensuring that your Mac notebook is fully charged when unplugged
- Spotlight Improved performance: Spotlight is more optimized for speed. Results appear faster than ever, as soon as you start typing.
- And many more new features
Which Mac can be upgraded to macOS 11 Big Sur?
Before you begin to upgrade to the latest macOS 11 Big Sur, you should confirm if your Mac can run this operating system. As of this article update the following Macs can run macOS 11 Big Sur:
- MacBook Air (2013 and later)
- MacBook Pro (Late 2013 and later)
- Mac mini (2014 and later)
- 12-inch MacBook (2015 and later)
- iMac (2014 and later)
- Mac Pro (2013 and later)
- iMac Pro (all models)
Upgrade your Mac to macOS 11 Big Sur
It is recommended to back up your Mac before upgrading to macOS 11 Big Sur. When done choose Apple menu at the top left corner and hit “About This Mac“
Under the Overview section click “Software Update“
You should see the new release of Mac Big Sur available for installation.
Click “Upgrade Now” to initiate upgrade to macOS Big Sur.
Be patient as the software download may take quite some time.
After downloading, the installer opens automatically. Click “Continue” button to start installation of macOS Big Sur.
Review and accept license agreement.
Confirm installation disk.
Escalate your privileges by providing administrative password.
Installation to disk will start immediately.
Restart when asked to complete installation.
Then confirm the new operating system version once the upgrade is completed.
Enjoy the new features that come with macOS 11 Big Sur.